Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Over The Top--Women of Faith

I don't even know where to begin my post about the Women of Faith Conference.  The two day event was amazing and I was so blessed to be able to attend!  I am just going to give a few highlights so I don't over-share for those who want to go yet...don't want to ruin all the surprises!

Lisa Whelchel--You may remember Lisa as "Blair" on The Facts of Life.  Personally I was a bit young to watch that show when it was airing, but that's okay. :)   Lisa talked about friendship and her struggles to learn how to be a friend and "pick" good friends as an adult.  Some of what she said really hit home.  Her book, Friendship for Grown-ups, is a new one on my "to read" list.

Mandisa--You may remember Mandisa from American Idol a few seasons back.  She has since become a popular Christian music artist.  Loved hearing a few of her songs and I plan to go look up more of her music.  One of my past complaints at the Women of Faith conferences was that all of the speakers spoke about their husband and kids and seemed to be talking to the ladies in the audience with a husband and/or kids--which is great, but made me feel a little left out.  Us single ladies have struggles too.  I wanted to feel like I belonged at the conference even though I don't have a husband or kids.  Mandisa got my attention when she sang "All the Single Ladies" in a medley of songs.  She also shared a little of her struggle talking about having a "Single Awareness Moment" and going to food to fill the hurt instead of taking it to God.  That was enough to make me go--someone understands!  She didn't have to have a whole talk on being single, it was enough to make me feel like I belonged, like there was someone else like me there.  I love how real her songs are which is fitting since the name of her album is What if We Were Real.

Patsy Clairmont--I have heard Patsy speak each time I have attended this conference. She is hilarious!  I love hearing her talk even though usually my stomach hurts from laughing afterwards.  I love how she can share hard stuff and make me laugh, and yet share deep biblical truth while doing it.  
Our seats were close to the stage and "porch" where the speakers sit.  I moved to a closer row for a minute to get a picture of the speakers standing together when Patsy walked up to the person nexted to me to thank them for coming.  I asked her if she would be willing to take a picture with me and she graciously said yes!

And a few more pictures:

Hanging out during one of the breaks

The Praise Team with Patsy Clairmont and Sandi Patty 

Check out the Women of Faith website to find out more or to find dates for a Women of Faith conference near you.  Don't worry if the conference for your area has already happened for this year.  I saw dates for next year already--mark your calendars and plan on attending.  You will be glad you did!

I received 2 tickets in hopes that I would share details about the conference on my blog.  All opinions are 100% mine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails