Friday, August 10, 2007

Give Thanks


"In everything give thanks." It is easy to give thanks when things in life are going well. It is a lot harder to give thanks when you feel things in life are going rotten. When life is rotten it is so much easier to give a list of the things that have gone wrong. A couple of years ago I was miserable where I worked, but I had given a one year commitment to the place. I was so sick of complaining and crying about all the ways I hated the place so I came up with a list of things about the job that I was thankful for (#1 it paid my rent!). Each day I would try to come up with one thing that I was thankful for--it actually made my job just a little more bearable until I could quit.

I once heard a story (I tried to look it up, but I can't find it anywhere) about a girl that was in a concentration camp during WW II and in those awful circumstances found things to be thankful for. One example was that she was thankful for the gnats/fleas/lice that were all over them and their barracks (making life even more miserable) because they were so bad that the guards wouldn't go in the barracks; therefore, the guards didn't find the Bible she had and didn't know she was reading the Bible to the other ladies. Can you imagine being thankful for fleas and lice???
Giving thanks to God takes the focus off of us and gives it back. If we take the time to think about it God has given us so much. And most importantly He sent his son to die for our sins!
So what in life are you thankful for today?

Edited: Thanks to my SIL who let me know it was Corrie Ten Boom and her sister Betsie that this story was about.__________________________________________________

stamps: Fancy Pants set "Pollen Dust." Verse is from Happy Harmony (Stampin' Up)
paper: Bashful Blue, Whisper White, Basic Black
ink: Black, markers: Bashful Blue, Real Red, So Saffron, Certainly Celery
other: brad-SU!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! Love it! And I love that verse.

Debra

Anonymous said...

Love the card Jen!

I am thankful for the pool in hot weather ;) I am sure that there is lots more but that is the first thing that came to mind!!!

Anonymous said...

Jen, this is a beautiful card!! And there are so many things I'm thankful for, but one of the things on the top of my list is my children!!!

bensarmom said...

Jen,
What a wonderful reminder to us all. I am thankful I found your blog and the God who made us all.
Blessings,
Sue

Jan said...

What a terrific card and a wonderful reminder of that verse. I'm thankful for your brother, my best friend! Also, your inspiring story was written by Corrie Ten Boom about her and her sister, Betsie.

Kristine said...

Gorgeous card. Thanks for inspiring story. It's so true what you said about being thankful. I'm very happy today that my family is together. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails